Thinking, Fast and Slow, Daniel Kahneman
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
Within this novel, Kahneman explains to the reader just how difficult it can be to make a decision. He goes on to explain how there are relatively two different sections within our brains that are constantly at war with one another when it comes to making a decision. The author goes on to explain just how devastating these battles can be and what they can affect our day to day lives. These two sections of our brain control various different functions but Kahneman goes into detail on how to control these beasts and do our best to prosper with our minds.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
First to start this book coincidentally goes hand in hand with another class I am currently taking. Daniel Kahneman being someone that I had already been learning about, and thus being able to go more in depth with his work and the mind I was very interested. In the end I was able to discover that this book was able to shine a light on just how much energy is expended when I am to work on almost anything. Not only that but it was able to portray how to maximize usage and how to work most efficiently. Like so many businesses out there, it is better to think smarter not harder and that is just what this book has done for me.
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
If I were to create an exercise based on this book I would first begin by explaining to everyone exactly how the brain is functioning while it is making a decision. I would then allow them to participate in a task that involves a certain degree of problem solving, placing them in different groups, and allowing them to try and predict the best way to get to the solution of the problem. I would then go through each groups ideas pointing out the pros and cons, and finally would reveal to them just how to do it most simply. With little resistance on your brain while also allowing it to grow and learn as we do so, preparing them for potentially problems in the future.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
I believe that the biggest ‘aha’ moment for me would be that our brain is in fact just as lazy as us. Thus it inhibits us from being as intelligent as we can be, but by now recognizing this fact we are able to avoid doing such a thing. Being lazy is one thing, it feels as though it is a choice, but our brain being lazy is a completely other. I was able to learn ways to keep myself from falling into negative cycles, and now understood my brain better than I ever have before.
Hey Erin!
ReplyDeleteI liked your aha moment of having to force our brains to not be lazy. I agree that I often have to force my brain to get out of its lazy cycle. When I try and get out of my head and be creative, I feel like I am my most intelligent.
wow this seemed like a really cool book to read, I have a big problem with procrastination and this book sounds like it would be a lot of help in explaining why I do that so much.
ReplyDelete